- Wednesday March 28 / Our True North small group meeting @ 6:30 pm will be using the material “NOT A FAN” by Kyle Idleman. Feel free to join us for this study of how to grow deeper in our discipleship. If you would like to have a copy of the student journal please let Charles know. This group meets in the prayer room.
- Tuesdays @ noon – The Brown Bag lunch group is currently studying the Restoration Movement and the role of the Bible in this movement. Hey meet in the South Wing of the church building.
- Thursdays @ 6 pm – True North Bible Study is meeting at the church building in the Prayer Room. Everyone is welcome to join.
- April 1 / Easter Sunday: Invite friends, families and neighbors! We will be looking at the topic of Come Alive!!
- April 19 / 7:00 pm Hillsong Worship presents the THERE IS MORE tour @ Faith Family Church in North Canton, Ohio. (just of I-77). Text HILLSONGTOUR to 31996 for tickets or go to premierproductions.com.
- ALL SUMMER LONG: Elkhorn Valley Christian Service Camp and Round Lake Christian Assembly both have a great selection of camps of youth of all ages (there are some adult programs as well). If you have a child you would like to send to camp let us know. We will help get you any information required and possibly help with Camp Scholarship $$.
- June 10 / all day: The Great Grill Off @ the Christian Children’s Home of Ohio / Wooster, OH. Of course, the highlight from the Great Grill Off menu is the Burger Contest, where you will have a chance to taste four different Certified Angus Beef ® brand sliders of your choice before voting for your favorite. Kids get two of their own burgers but can also choose an all-beef frankfurter instead. They are extremely excited to be partnering with Wooster’s own Hartzler Family Dairy this year, and you should be extremely excited as well since that means attendees will be treated to some delicious Hartzler ice cream! Just be sure you clear your lunch plate first! What’s a cookout without some chips? Frito-Lay will be providing attendees with a bag of chips with their meal! There will also have popcorn on hand! http://greatgrilloff.com/taste-and-see/ for info and tickets
- August 29 – September 8, 2018 / Amazon Boat Trip – Central Brazil Mission. Plans are in the works for Dennis, Connie, and Charles to make a medical mission trip to Brazil. Details to come…..
As always: we ask our readers to consider how YOU can become part this work taking shape in the Kenmore Community. We need both churches and individuals: Contact Compass regarding the ways you can become part of work here!!! [email protected] or call 330-571-1566.
Presents: Build His Kingdom Here
We are offering a training on the Biblical framework for life on mission. This seminar will train you people to be effective ministers of the gospel in contexts which may be outside the of their own comfortable norm.
August 26, 2017 Registration (coffee and light snacks) 7:30-8:00 am
Participants will identify and engage with 4 main themes:
Challenging Assumptions: A context different than my own
Living on Mission: Gospel centered lifestyle within my current context
Biblical Foundations & Directives: Grounding all training in biblical truth
Empowerment : Offering people a hand up, not a hand out
REGISTER TODAY: Include name, address, email, home church.
Email – KenmoreOfﬁ[email protected]
Phone – 330-571-15667:30-8:00
One of the key “Compass Points” that make up the Key Values for Compass Christian is the idea of being as Engaged as possible in our community so that we can Serve them in Love while we continue to Worship as means of growing spiritually. Over all we try to Navigate people to Jesus.
Below are listed some ways that we are working to remain ENGAGED this summer in the Kenmore / Akron Community.
- SAFY of Akron/Canton: Throughout the summer this local chapter of a national organization will be hosted in our building for training and other events. Check the church Calendar. (CompassKenmore.com/events) for dates and information – or literature at the back of the sanctuary. Specialized Alternatives for Families and Youth (SAFY) is a national non-profit organization. Since 1984, we have been a leader in the provision of programs and services that improve the safety and well-being of families, children and communities. Our history formed our reputation as a quality Therapeutic Foster Care provider for youth unable to remain in their home of origin. Today, our Model of Care provides community-based services for families and children who have experienced trauma and are at risk for or have experienced family disruption or out-of-home placement. Guided by our Mission to Preserve Families and Secure Futures, we care for more than 13,000 families and children each year, delivering a progression of care that provides a brighter today and strengthens families and children throughout their lifetime.
Kenmore Community Days Parade: May 27, 2017, 11 AM – we are registered to be in the parade again this year. We need donations of candy (individually wrapped small items) that can be thrown to those along the parade route. If you would like to walk the parade route with us please let Charles or Sarah know.
Beginning Early June (after school ends) and running through the summer Compass will be one of the hosts for the Akron Summer Lunch Program. We plan to serve free lunches to children under age 18 each day (Monday – Friday) at noon. We can use volunteers to help with serving food and clean up each day. If you are interested please contact Sarah Draime or Chrissy Simms.
Project Shine: This is a teen mission trip that is sort a “stay-cation” style event. Teens from around the area come to Kenmore and other Akron sites to do work projects. This is a co-operative effort involving several Kenmore Area churches and some others in the Greater Akron Area. Compass is offering the opportunity for adult volunteers to assist this year. One day or several – all help is welcome. Week of June 18 and Week of June 25. Details to come later.
ASPIES are still hosted here at Compass. We are pleased to see this support group for families affected by Autism making a community impact at to be a part of it through providing space for them to meet.
Good Friday: 1-3 PM
Open time of Prayer in the auditorium. Come and go as you please. There will be devotional thoughts provided or simply pray as you wish.
The minister will also be available if you desire for him to join you in prayer.
Easter Sunday Continental Breakfast 9:15 Am
In our fellowship area at the back of the sanctuary we will have muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice and fellowship!
Come early for service and join in a great time together.
Easter Sunday / Compass Sunday Morning 10:00 AM
We will continue our Series: Catalytic Questions. This week we will explore the question — Who do you say that I am?
Compass Christian Church 1900 East Ave Akron, OH Will host a Celebration of Fall On October 21st at 5pm
Come enjoy Snacks like Popcorn, Cookies, and Apple Cider & Homemade Chili Games will be played and Prizes will be won / Drawing for Grand Prize Basket On Sunday October 23rd (must be present to win)
No costumes please / All ages are encouraged to Attend
For the second time Compass will host this great event:
November 5 Check it out below!!! For tickets contact….
Akron Fossils & Science Center | 2080 South Cleveland-Massillon Road, Copley OH 44321 330-665-DINO (3466)
Compass Christian Church and Open Tone Music have been working together from the very early days.
Open Tone is a Not for Profit that has existed since 2010– and their Executive Director, Chris Anderson has been a part of our worship team and strategic plans from the very early days.
As members of the arts community, we see the large number of young people that miss out on the opportunity to experience the benefit of music education. We also see many who have limited or no access to the performing arts including seniors and those who are hospitalized.
Open Tone Music is committed to bringing music to people. Our mission is to support, develop and implement programs which focus on making music performance and music education accessible. We focus primarily on youth but serve individuals of all ages. We strive to fill the ever growing gap of individuals both young and old who have been denied the benefits of music.
Coming to Compass — Open Tone Music Academy !!!
While some details have to be worked out yet — September 10, 2016, Open Tone will launch their Music Academy in the Compass Christian Church building. The plan calls for Open Tone to provide an academy teaching music for little or no cost to young people from the Akron area, especially the Kenmore Community.
On Saturdays students will have opportunity to learn the instrument they choose under the guiding hand of musicians who are graduate level students and/or graduates. These mentors will also be musicians who are performing professionally at various venues throughout NE Ohio and beyond.
Students will not only have an opportunity for lessons, but the goal is to provide various performance venues for students in the form of concerts and worship teams. Classroom experience and “hands-on” live performance combining to make the students’ musical experiences of the highest possible quality.
If you have a student interested in learning more — please get their contact info to Compass via phone message at 330.753.3121 or by email: [email protected]
As soon as possible we will contact them about exact times / costs / and registration procedures.
We also are looking for donated instruments. Remember that flute hidden under the bed? Or that sax in the back of closet? Why not give it new life by donating it to Open Tone and/or Compass Christian Church for use in the Academy?
Any donation to Open Tone or Compass is fully tax deductible.